“The overarching aim of this Action Plan is to ramp up delivery of housing from its current under-supply across all tenures to help individuals and families meet their housing needs, and to help those who are currently housed to remain in their homes or be provided with appropriate options of alternative accommodation, especially those families in emergency accommodation.” – Main goals in terms of units is an annual 25,000 and the delivery of 47,000 units by 2021.
To be achieved through “5 Pillars”:
- Pillar 1 – Address Homelessness
- Pillar 2 – Accelerate Social Housing
- Pillar 3 – Build More Homes
- Pillar 4 – Improve the Rental Sector
- Pillar 5 – Utilise Existing Housing
Pathfinding Projects (To create and test new areas to allow for faster and higher quality homes to be built):
- Housing Agency: The Housing Agency will acquire 1,600 units with €70m worth of funding for units to be bought and refurbished for social housing by 2020.
- Affordable Rental: €10m of annual funding to help 2,000 properties afford rent on homes where a disproportionate amount of income goes to rent.
- Infrastructure: €200m on Local Infrastructure Housing Activation Fund. 15-20 sites to be identified over 3 years to provide up to 15,000-20,000 new homes.
- Cost Effective Homes Competition: A competition will be held to champion best practice, efficient and cost effective design to enable the delivery of high quality homes in sustainable communities at an affordable level. The design must also be capable of delivering new homes for less than €200,000 (“all in” delivery cost net of site cost), on foot of which a suitable State site will be provided for delivery of the homes within 18 months.
- Modular Homes: 1,500 modular homes to be provided (by 2018). Does not address the issues around the pilot scheme for modular homes (i.e. too expensive, took too long to build, etc.)
- Fast Tracking Large Housing Developments: Housing developments over 100 units will go straight to An Bord Pleanála – This could reduce the planning process from 18 months to 3 months (That’s if ABP have the resources in place to handle the new influx of planning decisions)
Download the Housing Action Plan Report